Seeking a new sub 4 hour marathon strategy? I get how you feel. I've experienced the high highs and the very low lows that marathoners experience.
I also practice what I preach here at rundreamachieve as well as at the RunDreamAchieve YouTube Channel. My overall goal is to help athletes around the world break this 4 hour marathon barrier. How? Leverage.
Leverage simply means doing more with less and not having to work harder to get results. The best marathoners know how to use leverage. They are not caught up with how many miles a week they are running but what pace they are running those miles at.
They utilize strategies that I teach in the Sub 4 Hour Marathon Mastery course. There are common mistakes that I see many athletes making that are causing them to miss their objective. Here are a few.
Sub 4 Hour Marathon Strategy Mistakes
- Zero knowledge about glutathione. Glutathione is the body's master antioxidant and you could be running dangerously low on it right now without knowing. The sooner you learn about this the better chance you will have at breaking 4 hours.
- Long runs are conducted at too slow of a pace. It is better to do a 15 miler at 9:35 mile pace than a 22 miler at 11:00 mile pace. One will teach the body to clear lactic acid more efficiently, the latter simply builds endurance. Running a marathon and racing a marathon effectively are drastically different animals.
- They are running low on iron or ferritin and need to get a blood test to determine why they are fatigued. Do not leave it up to guessing.
- Their weekly mileage is spent running 1 to 2 minutes slower than goal marathon race pace (9:09 per mile).
- Poor hydration practices in training and in the race. Lack of attention to detail can make or break a sub 4 hour marathon attempt no matter how motivated or how hard you have worked. Pre-plan for success at all times.
- Insufficient time spent training at their aerobic capacity (175+ beats per minute).
- Insufficient time spent training their Anaerobic Threshold (167 to 174 beats per minute)
Additional Mistakes All Marathoners Make
- Second guessing their ability. It isn't a lack of talent or capability. They need a new sub 4 hour marathon strategy. Often times, it is simply a new training plan that needs to be introduced. Less volume, higher intensity is needed.
- Expecting quick results and underestimating the time needed to break this barrier. Your achievement is going to be your level of overcoming disappointments quickly.
- They need to vary the paces of their long runs. One weekend should be spent at 160 beats per minute or 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. The following week needs to be spent relaxed at 130 to 150 beats per minute.
- Mindset. Focus on what you can control, not on what you cannot. You can mix up the way you conduct the long run. Try running 20 miles at 9:20 to 9:30 mile pace running a 7:45 mile every 4th mile. Imagine what 9:09 mile pace will feel like if you train over a minute faster than goal pace?
Number One Sub 4 HR Marathon Strategy
The key is to train much faster than sub 4 hour marathon pace.
My goal when I was a 2:43:36 marathoner was to break 2:22:00. I had held 6:14 mile pace for 26.2 miles prior to breaking 2:20:00. Furthermore, the question was how was I was going to get from 6:14 to 5:20 mile pace. Obviously, massive differences in pace right?
If you want to break a sub 4 hour marathon you'll listen to what I have to say. Your number one goal from here on out is to get comfortable being uncomfortable.
There are no easy roads to a sub 4 hour marathoner. The closer you are to the barrier the easier it will be but no guarantees. It make take you a few months to achieve or a few years. How badly do you want this?
In closing, this isn't an overnight process. A sub 4 hour marathon requires white hot, razor sharp focus. Working harder isn't always the answer. I recommend you start working smarter and use the leverage techniques I teach in the Sub 4 Hour Marathon Mastery course.
If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. A sub 4 hour marathon strategy is your path to becoming a 3:59:59 or faster marathon specialist. The best marathoners in the world follow the methodology that I teach. I've run 2:19:35 for the marathon distance and know what it takes to break this 4 hour barrier.